There’s a good chance a lot of folks will be hitting barbecues this weekend. And, while burgers are the top choice when it comes to barbecue food, 49% of people chose hot dogs as their fave, and apparently folks have some definite opinions on how to enjoy them.
- July is National Hot Dog Month, and to kick it off the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council conducted a poll on America’s hot dog preferences.
- According to the council, Americans will eat 150 million hot dogs on July 4th alone, the single biggest hot dog consumption day of the year.
- When it comes to how they enjoy them, New York style is the favorite, meaning an all-beef hot dog topped with steamed unions and deli-style mustard.
- Coming in second is Chicago style, an all-beef hot dog layered with yellow mustard, dark green relish, chopped raw onion, pickle spear, sport peppers, tomato slices and topped with a dash of celery salt and served in a poppy seed bun.
- Finally, coming in third is the Michigan Coney, an all-beef dog with meaty chili sauce on top, with mustard and onion.
- The council notes that the only thing that shouldn’t be on a hot dog is ketchup, unless you are a kid.
- As for what to pair that dog with, 76% eat their hot dog with soda, followed by:
- Beer (57%)
- Lemonade (54%)
- Iced tea (48%)
- Orange juice (12%)
- Milk (9%)
- Wine (9%)
How do you eat you Hotdog? Dm us in Instagram @waynedshow