- “The ick”, much discussed on TikTok and Instagram lately, is where attraction to a current or potential partner is suddenly flipped to a feeling of disgust.
These qualities can be absolute deal-breakers in some relationships.
For example, do you clap when the plane lands when you’re on a flight? Your relationship may be doomed.
A survey found that 65% of respondents say they have ended a relationship because of an ‘ick’ trait their partner had. One of those ick traits? Clapping when the plane lands.
Here are some other things that give adults the “ick”:
Bad hygiene/bad breath
- Being a know-it-all
- Being rude to servers
- A messy living space
- Dirty fingernails/long fingernails
- Being too clingy
- Bad teeth
- Talking too loudly
- Chewing/talking with their mouth open
- Oversharing on social media
- Still living at home
- Not wearing socks with shoes
- Speaking in a baby voice
- Breathing heavily
- A bad tattoo
- Wearing too much makeup
- Referring to their sports team as “we”
- Wearing wrinkly clothes
- Wearing socks to bed
As I read this list, I realized I'm guilty of a few of these. How about you?