Traveling has always been a bit of a pain, and it’s probably even worse now. Flight attendants and pilots are there to help make flying a bit easier, but apparently folks are doing tons of stuff to tick those people off, and now they are spilling the beans.
It all started when someone on Reddit asked, “flight attendants and/or pilots of Reddit, what are some things passengers do that get on your nerves?,” and these airline workers were more than happy to chime in.
Things you’re doing to annoy flight attendants and pilots include:
- Saying “thanks for finally showing up’ when a flight is delayed – “You may only have one flight that day, but I probably had four.”
- Trying to join the mile high club - "Don’t have sex in the bathrooms y’all. No, you aren’t being quiet and yes, we will know. This is THE grossest place you could possibly want to do the deed, as bathrooms NEVER GET DEEP-CLEANED, EVER.”
- Leaving a ridiculous amount of garbage behind – “Last week I had a grown-ass couple spit huge globs of gum onto the floor and then step on it to try to rub it in. Like, seriously? Why?"
- Joking that the pilot is drunk or was out late drinking – “You may say it as a joke and think it’s funny, but we have to take those comments seriously. If you honestly smell booze, speak up. If not, it’s not funny and keep your mouth shut."
- Changing your baby’s dirty diaper on the passenger seat - "If you need to change your baby on a plane, go to the toilet. No one enjoys the smell of piss and shit, especially in a small place like an airplane. Be respectful."
- Walking around barefoot on planes - "I cringe when I see people run around barefoot, especially near/in restrooms. I bet almost every aircraft has a restroom where someone couldn't make it in time and vomited right in front of it."
- Clapping when the plane lands - "Imagine if someone clapped every time you merged off a highway. It's just our job, its not that hard to do."
- Ignoring and getting defensive about safety instructions - "One of the most annoying things is when people ignore or fight our instructions concerning safety regulations…no, it is not negotiable. No reason to get insulting or treat us like sh*t."
- Sleeping with your feet in the aisles during night flights – “While I do understand the need to stretch your legs, the lights are dimmed at night and it is a trip hazard for us. I have seen colleagues break bones by tripping over feet and legs in the dark."
- Parents not watching their kids during the flight - "The aircraft isn't childproof and there's a surprising amount of things kids can injure themselves on."