So you pride yourself in keeping a clean, tidy house. But we bet there are things in your home that haven’t been cleaned in years. Or maybe ever.
Let's see if you've cleaned these recently.
Real Simple points out some areas in your home that you probably have overlooked:
- Dryer vents: Of course you clean your lint trap with every load, right? But what about the dryer vent? Clogged dryer vents can cause fires, encourage the growth of mold and make your dryer ineffective.
- Reusable grocery bags: Kudos to you if you use reusable bags to protect the environment. But did you know those bags harbor all kinds of disgusting germs? Wash them in warm water and let them air dry.
- Toothbrush holders and soap dishes: They collect saliva and soap scum. Run them through the dishwasher once a week.
- Sink P Trap: If your sink isn’t draining the way it should, there’s a good chance the P Trap is clogged with goo, coffee grounds, egg shells, hair and a variety of things that shouldn’t go down your sink in the first place. It’s easy to clean it out with a wrench and a bucket to catch the water and gunk. You can find a million videos on YouTube to help with the process.
- Dishwasher: A dishwasher sounds like it should be self-cleaning, with water and detergent going through it. But food particles and mineral deposits could prevent your washer to do its job. Remove the food traps and run a cycle with white vinegar. Your dishes will thank you.
This isn't posted to judge. Heck, I needed these reminders too! Now let's all grab our supplies and knock these out together.